Summary: As we know, an OST file plays an important role in Outlook. It keeps your mailbox data and allows you to see them even if you are in offline mode. Sometimes, users need to move OST file to new computer because of many reasons. Therefore to make continuity with the blog, we are going to describe the methods which will help you to transfer the OST file from one computer to another easily. For an easy and quick migration task, try an effective OST to PST Conversion Tool.
We have discussed what an OST file is and what the role of it. Now, we are moving to know the main reasons behind this .ost transfer process. Most of the time, the user’s Exchange account stop working due to many technical issues occurring in the Exchange server. Also, Outlook does not respond sometimes due to many jumbles like oversized or corrupted .ost file in Outlook. The common issue is that when Outlook is unexpectedly closed by you, the next time you try to open it shows an inability. Therefore, users want to overcome all these hassles and move OST file to new computer after creating a new Outlook profile on the new system.
Now, let’s move to the upcoming segment, where we will try the manual method to copy OST file to new computer. Also, we will show you the location where the OST file is stored locally on your computer.
Where Stores OST File Locally?
Let us know where your .ost file is kept on your computer. To know the location, follow the steps which are pointed out below.
- Open Outlook and go to the File Menu.
- After that, click on Account Settings dropdown >> Account Settings.
- Here, navigate to the Data Files tab and choose the mailbox account.
- Thereafter, click on Open File Location. Now, you can see the OST file location.
Native Methods to Transfer OST to New Computer
After knowing the OST file location, now you can consider the steps to move the OST files to the new computers or PCs. For this, you need to install the Outlook application on your system. To complete the whole transfer process we divide this process into two stages. Now, move further to the next segment to see the work process.
Stage 1: Convert OST to PST Using Outlook
You need to export the OST file into PST format for proper use because the OST file is not accessible and importable to another Outlook profile. Now, go with the below steps to convert the Outlook OST to PST.
- Launch MS Outlook on your system.
- Then, go to the File menu and choose the Open & Export option.
- Now, select Import/Export >> Export to a file and click the Next button.
- Here, choose Outlook Data File (.pst), and choose the email account.
- Afterward, browse the location where you want to save the output files.
- Finally, hit the Finish button and can see the PST file at the given path.
Stage 2: Transfer the PST file to Another Computer
As the next step, we will store the converted OST file in an external device, like Pen Drive, and transfer it to the new computer. After that, create a new profile in Outlook and import the transferred PST file using the Import/Export feature of Outlook. To import the PST file in Outlook, consider the steps that we have pointed out below.
- Open Outlook and navigate to the File menu.
- Now, select Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Then, click on Import from another program or file and click Next.
- Afterward, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and hit Next.
- Thereafter, click on Browse to import the PST file, click one option, then hit Next.
- Here, select the file and click on the Finish button.
These are the steps that allow you to migrate OST file to new computer. But for this whole transfer process, you must follow all the steps, the same as those pointed out in the above section. Also, this method can take too much time, depending on the file size. Overall, this method is cumbersome and complex to perform. Therefore, go with an easy and quick solution that makes the mentioned transfer task easy.
Professional Method to Move OST File to New Computer
OST to PST Conversion Tool is the finest solution if you need to export your Outlook OST file into PST. Apart from PST, the tool can convert the OST file into 15+ file formats and is easily able to migrate them over various email clients. Moreover, you can effortlessly open OST file without Outlook. After converting the OST file into PST format using the tool, simply transfer them into a pen drive and import them to your new Outlook account on the new computer and complete the given task to transfer Outlook OST file to new computer,
In this informative guide, you got all the methods that help you to move Outlook OST file to new computer. We have analyzed the two available methods using Outlook as a manual and a direct approach which is mentioned above. Consequently, if you want to move OST file to new computer hassle-free, then go with the professional approach over the manual method.